Breaking up the monotony.


  This stuff makes me laugh and cos I'm up to my armpits in mind melting calculations, I thought I'd share it. The calculations aren't difficult but they do involve some thinking, and on a sunny day such as this my brain seems to be on a bit of a go slow. The calcs are for the supper club and as well as involving writing a shopping and to-do list, I also have to work out quantities including, for a massive brain drain, what size square cake tin I would need if I was multiplying the regular mixture by three if I normally use a 71/2 inch round tin. I think the answer is twelve and if you're really bored you can see if I'm right.

  Anyway, on to the entertainment. I needed some anchovy paste for the pissaladiere and on the packet I bought I noticed this little allergy warning in the list of ingredients.
Image
  To be quite honest, as a species we're doing ourselves a bit of a disservice by warning people with a fish allergy against buying anchovy paste, because if they need help working out random tubes of grey goop might be poisonous then they're a waste of... (I've told you before about being more tollerant. -Ed.).

  This next one is a just the supermarkets selling us expensive shit and comes with a warning that you need to stay vigilant so you don't get taken in. Normally I breeze past this sort of stuff with blinkers on but they had a stall handing out tasters so I investigated.
Image
  They are little nuggets, (or clusters, if you work in marketing), of seeds, rice crispies and flavourings glued together with corn starch. I had a nibble and it was like a savoury breakfast cereal, light, crispy and odd tasting. Some folk had a taste and couldn't grab a bag fast enough. What they didn't bother looking at was the price. Even at the reduced price of £24 per kilo, (£32 normally), this was still twice the price of the most expensive ingredient, chia seeds, (Waitrose retail price, £13.3/kilo).

  I don't need to point out that there is a very low amount of chia seeds in this little and very expensive sachet. Actually, maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. I should have my heart and soul removed and join the supermarket industry. There's a load of money to be made there, especially if I can keep the stupid people with allergies alive long enough to shop in my store.





Kirk out




Chefsebastian.com

Comments

Popular Posts