A matter of taste

  One of the things that it's very important to do while you're cooking is to taste, but more than you do already. With any luck you taste your lovely creation before it gets served and adjust the seasoning and that's all smashing but there's more.

​​​​​​​  Often a recipe will tell you to add a medium onion or a couple of carrots and though that's fairly helpful, there's more you can do to arm yourself with information and that is to have a little nibble. By doing so you can get a sense of the strength and quality of the flavour and this is helpful when it comes to getting the balance of flavours right.
Image
  You may not feel that confident in the kitchen and may not feel that you can translate the taste of a raw mushroom into something that will help you make a meaningful decision. To which I say, fear not whether that is true or not because if tasting everything becomes a habit, you will inadvertently be teaching yourself those very skills.

  There are obvious and less obvious exceptions. The obvious ones are, that you shouldn't eat anything that is likely to kill you or make you wish you were dead like raw prawns or bacon, and especially not prawns wrapped in bacon. (That's too obvious. -Ed.). Less obvious are things which provide structure but no flavour like flour. You don't need to taste flour, and if I'm honest that's also pretty obvious.

  Above you can see what I threw together tonight. The highlight for me was the onion pakora I made. I had accidentally seasoned the batter just right so, (to my semi experienced palate), they wouldn't have tasted out of place in a fine Indian restaurant. I'll be honest and tell you I didn't taste the batter, I just couldn't bring myself to cos it's basically gram flour and water. If you're not sure, just do as I say, not as I do. 
Oh, bollocks! I was supposed to tell you about the cocktails from yesterday. I'll do it tomorrow.




Kirk out




RevoltingFood.com

Comments

Popular Posts