Table for one.

  When it comes to making an effort with cooking, the time when it's hardest is when the honoured guest is you. Not for me, you understand, It's always a joy to cook for you, I mean that it's... (Yes, we get it. Stop gibbering -Ed.). For some reason, the usual effort and flair just seems to wane and presentation just goes straight out of the window.

​​​​​​​  Is it a lack of patience? Overwhelming hunger? Maybe you just don't give a fuck and think you don't deserve it. However, I think it's more like when you try to tickle yourself or give yourself a fright. You think you're as unlikely to be made to feel special as you are tickled or frightened. But I beg to differ, it does work.
Image
  I was left to my own devices this weekend as the management had gone away with a friend leaving me to fend for myself. One thing I noticed was that I didn't eat much. That's not relevant but I thought I'd mention it. When I did eat, I managed to make proper food and for lunch today, I even made a bit of effort with the presentation. You can see it above and though it's not likely to end up attracting the attention of the Michelin crew, I have seen restaurants make less effort. I did take the time to sit down and eat instead of wondering around shovelling in the occasional mouthful, which also makes a difference.

  Give it a go next time you're eating alone. In fact, lay a proper place at the table. Table mat, glass, napkin. You could even put down flowers, a candle, salt and pepper. Before you call social services to tell them I've lost it, just give it a go. You do it for other people, (I hope), so see what happens when you give yourself the same treatment.

  I'm looking forward to hearing from you with tales of how it went. If you want to send me pictures too then even better. There's not much cooking for me this week as I've got another job on but don't forget that in a about a week and a half I'm doing the big birthday bash. Holy cow! I think I'd kind of forgotten. Plenty of prep to do, expect loads of updates.




Kirk out




RevoltingFood.com

Comments

Popular Posts