The human guinea pig

  What news of my latest experiment? Actually, it's not that exciting but if you missed the announcement, a week ago I thought I'd cut out all animal products for a couple of weeks. Despite what I said earlier, it's not being vegan because I'm still eating honey and I haven't thrown out my leather jacket, (in case there are any pedants out there).

  Unless you're particularly bad at maths, you'll have worked out that I'm half way through. Have I noticed anything? What is there to report? Buckle up cowboy cos here it comes... Fuck all! But I did say I'd do it for two weeks so there might be more news, but if someone else was running the experiment and hadn't told me, I wouldn't have noticed.
Image
  The big difference, as you might imagine, is the cooking, but even that hasn't been much of a challenge. It has given me a chance to fanny about with non dairy creaminess, which has been interesting. One thing I tried yesterday was wild mushrooms in a creamy sauce, (about two o'clock on the plate above and in the saucepan). I had made a load of chickpeas and I blitzed a few of them with their cooking liquor and used that and it worked beautifully.

​​​​​​​  I'm ok without cheese, butter can be replaced with oil and I've been drinking coconut milk for ages now but I have noticed eggs missing. It's only a couple of weeks so I'll manage and there will be a final report at the end though I'm not sure quite what I expected. It has shown me how much animal food I eat.

  That's enough of this drivel. you've got better things to do than listen to me ramble on about a total non event though I will tell you that the plate above, which was my Sunday roast, was super delicious and was not missing anything. Be warned, if I cook for you I might just slip you a vegan meal and see if you notice. 

  In case you're curious, from twelve o'clock, harissa and red pepper dip, creamy mushrooms and shallots, roasted vegetables, vegetable pakora, chickpea and coconut stew, wild rice, kimchi, salad.


 


Kirk out




RevoltingFood.com

Comments

Popular Posts