Half throttle

  It looks like I've been running the engine a bit harder than I thought. I got an early-ish night last night and I've still been feeling battered all day. But I wouldn't have it any other way. I'll not go on about my time in Berlin any more as I'm sure you've had your fill, but before I move on to the next mission, there's one thing I must tell you about.

  Before I do, please, please, please tell me if you've seen this anywhere in a big UK supermarket because I'll be happy to eat my words. It seems like such a no brainer and it may even inspire me to pull my fingers out and tell the supermarkets here that they're missing a trick.

  Why you see in the picture is a bunch of stock vegetables. Even though I'd never seen this, I didn't need to speak German to understand what it was. Fortunately, because I made stock, I bought a couple. ​​​​​​​
Image
​​​​​​  Basically, each portion had a chunk of celeriac, a few carrots, a bit of leek and a small bunch of parsley. It's genius for a couple of reasons. The first is that it helps the suppliers get rid of 'imperfect' vegetables and it helps the customers as they don't have to buy more than they need or want. I supplemented the pack with some garlic and mushrooms but it was useful to have a starter especially as I had no use for a whole celeriac.

  The flip side, unfortunately, is that it would be weird to imagine that no one in the UK supermarket business had ever heard about this. Which means the obvious conclusions could be that either we don't make stock, preferring instead to use cubes cos we don't mind adding a load of salt to our food, or the supermarkets don't want to offer this (for whatever reason). 

  What I will do however, is talk to my local fruit and veg seller. He's a top fella and always good to talk to. I'll get back to you with what he says. Until then, keep making stock!




Kirk out




RevoltingFood.com

Comments

Popular Posts