So near and yet so far

  Today's picture reminds me about the importance of kitchen design. I took the pic while I was doing a bit of catering and I'm happy to say that at least it was in a venue and not in someone's house. But something just as bonkers could very well have been, so be warned.

  I reckon that most people will never design a kitchen, let alone arrange for one to be fitted in their house. It's a massive expense and a major upheaval so a lot of the time a makeover does the job, which is great because the layout doesn't change. When a new kitchen does go in however, one aspect that is hard to test is the flow. A kitchen design shop will sell you some lovely appliances, cos that's how they stay in business, but until the kitchen has been installed, you will not know if the design has worked. If it doesn't then I'm afraid you're fucked. (A technical term to describe the unnecessary wasting of a large amount of your hard earned cash).
Image
Genius!
  I've never heard of anyone ripping out their brand new kitchen and starting again and with good reason; it's way too expensive and disruptive. Why am I writing about this? Because it breaks my heart when I see an awkward kitchen that I know is stuck like that. I'm sure a lot of pleasure is lost and a lot more work gets done in that kitchen as a result.

  This may seem small but there is one thing that can be changed after installation, (and I've done this on a few occasions), which generally brings smiles and astonishment from the homeowners who hadn't thought about it or realised it was possible. This simple fix is changing the side the fridge door hinges on. Unless you've got one of those massive, american style fridge freezers which open like a wardrobe, you can choose to have the hinges on the right or left. Go have a look at your fridge and imagine it opening the other way. If that seems to make more sense, switch the hinges and handles and bring a little joy to your life.

  You're probably reading this as I'm nearing the end of my journey back home. I've an exciting week ahead because the trip to Berlin I've been hinting at starts in a few hours so when I've parked the bike I'll be throwing a wash in the machine and packing my bags for an early blast to the airport. The next time we talk I'll be on Berlin time.





Kirk out




RevoltingFood.com

Comments

Popular Posts