Spoon biscuits

  While in beautiful Berlin, (Yes, we get it. You liked the place.), I made some biscuits for the dessert. As I was in a bit of a hurry, I threw some ingredients in a bowl, spooned them out and baked them. These went down very well indeed, with a few people even sneaking into the kitchen to ask for more or the recipe.

  The fact was, I had no recipe. All I had was the principle of how to produce a cookie so I just winged it. When I got home and recounted the story, I was ordered into the kitchen to make some more, which I did today. Then something occurred to me, this is the sort of thing that everyone should be doing. And when I say everyone, I'm including you and the small people. Therefore I'm ordering you to go and make biscuits. I know that ordering you to make biccies is a bit weird, but a part of me has a hunch that you're too lazy and lacking in confidence to leap up and do this, so let me make this clear, you are under very strict orders to go and create a delicious treat for yourself and any one you'd like to share them with.
Image
  As I'm not going to give you a recipe, I've got to give you some tips. Firstly, you're not limited to wheat flour so for the 'grain' part of the mix you can used ground nuts, seeds, oats and even some wheat flour which can be useful for sticking everything together. The oil will make the biscuit moist but you're not limited to butter. You can use oil or seed and nut butters too. (Under no circumstances are you to use margarine.) There are loads of sweeteners you can use as well as or instead of sugar. A lot of the liquid sweeteners, (honey, agave, maple, date syrup), will help stick the mix together too as well as add a chewiness.

  So just start chucking stuff in a bowl and mixing. Keep tasting to see if you like it, then when it tastes yummy, it's ready to bake. Don't be shy about experimenting with chunks of nuts, fruit or even chocolate. Basically, as long as your mix sticks together, it should still be stuck together when it comes out of the oven. What I did to get an even size biccie was scoop up a spoon full of mix then squeeze it to make it compressed and spoon shape. 

  I put it on a non stick sheet on a baking tray and stuffed it in the oven at about 160-170c for about ten minutes (or until it was starting to brown). Carefully lift it onto a rack to let it cool. They should cool a bit before you start ramming them uncontrollably down your gob because they're generally too crumbly when hot. Get the kids involved for all the reasons I don't need to explain and do try and bake some of the mix before they eat it all, cos a bowl of nuts, oats, seeds, coconut oil and honey makes a very tempting and delicious snack for the young 'uns.

PS, if you spread the mix out on a baking sheet and bake it you'll get something like granola because this is roughly how granola is made.




Kirk out




RevoltingFood.com

Comments

Popular Posts