Utterly excellent!

  What an amazingly amazing evening. The mission that I have chosen to accept was three supper clubs in vibrant Berlin. Tonight was the first one and a very special one it was too. It's now way past my bedtime and we've only just got home but I'm buzzing so I'm just going to tell you all about it.

  What made this one so special was that it was an idea I had a long time ago and unlike anything I had ever heard of. Yes it was a meal, but it was so much more. The idea was to use the premise of a supper club to engage in a conversation about our relationship with food like an installation of performance. The twist was that to get people to wake up to the issues around food that I wanted to raise, I made everyone eat without cutlery, i.e. with their fingers. Not only that, but they could only feed each other. (Cue deafening sound of guest's eyebrows being raised).

  None of the guests knew this in advance so part of the fun was watching their reactions. However, I'm really happy to tell you that no one tried to make a break for it. In fact, they really embraced the idea so we all had a lot of fun as well as engaging in all sorts of conversations that I kick started with a little talk at the start of each course.
Image
The aftermath
  The first course was a caesar salad. (Imagine someone feeding you some of that with their fingers.) I got everyone to scoop up some dressed, chopped leaves into a big piece of leaf, sprinkle a few croutons on top, roll it up a bit and post it into the nearest, gaping mouth. Next up was sushi. I demonstrated nigiri first and got everyone started, then demonstrated a maki roll before inviting whoever fancied it to have a go. This proved to be wonderfully popular and a we got some very good results, especially as no one had tried this before.

  Next up was felafel. I'd made the mix well in advance but there was a bit of a pause as I had to fry them fresh. However, a few of the guests came in to give me a hand and before long, the party had moved into the kitchen and we had a jolly old time getting the next course ready. The felafel were accompanied by a couple of dips and despite a couple of people starting to feel full, they all got eaten. Finally I brought out two bunches of grapes and two bowls of melted chocolate to dip the grapes in. Messy, sensual and a lot of fun with the occasional bit of mischief ending up with chocolate around mouths instead of in it.

  After a lot more chatting the guests finally started to make their way. There was no doubt that everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves and had ended up really embracing the part about feeding each other to the point that it felt pretty normal by the end. Though I'd been cleaning all the way along, we still had the table to clear but it was late so we left it and headed home for a good night's sleep.
Phew! What an amazingly amazing evening.
​​​​​​​Next supper club, Friday.





Kirk out




RevoltingFood.com

Comments

  1. It truly was an amazing evening! This was definitely the most unique and fun supper I have been to. Your knowledge about all things food is impressive. And the food was awesome. Um, I mean most excellent. I look forward to Saturday’s Supper Club! Cheers, Kate

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts