An occasional food pilgrimage

  Yes, I know I'm not doing very well here with all of my tangents but it would be thoroughly remiss of me to not tell you about my day. It started with an early jaunt to the holy foodie grail of Borough market. Ordinarily I steer well clear of the place as it's crazy hectic but this was one of those, OnceInABlueMoonFamilyMeetings so off I went.

  We'd arranged to meet up at nine, which was too early for the heaving masses but, I was surprised to see, not too early for plenty of activity. If you've not been there, it's on the south side of London Bridge and is a warren of stalls, booths and pitches selling everything from all the ingredients you'd need; fresh fruit, veg, meat, fish and dairy through to oils, condiments, garnishes, preserves and accompaniments, as well as pretty much every type of street food you can imagine. There's too much to list and it's become a magnet for every tourist, both foreign and domestic, from around the globe. Predictably its a victim of its own success, unfortunately.
Image
Should be enough there for Christmas.
  It's not cheap, it's (normally) very busy and if you've not been then I'm afraid you're kind of obliged to go as it's the closest we've got to the sort of, (often indoor), food markets that make us wonder why we don't live in places like France, Spain or Italy etc. 

  Notable mention goes to the Big V who make vegan burgers. I had been given a recommendation from a reliable source so paid them a visit and was pleasantly blown away. I only had a half as I didn't want to ruin my appetite but managed to ruin my appetite anyway. Whoops! Oh, the other joy of Borough market is that everyone is thrusting tasters at you. Arrive there on the edge of starvation and within no time you're bursting like Mr Creosote after a massive binge. 

  It was utterly heaving by eleven when we left but, still worth battling against the throng. I'm looking forward to my next visit there, very early in the morning in about five years time.
Image
Even deliciouser than it looks.
  One of the purchases was a, (surprisingly reasonable), fresh, organic chicken all the way from Wales, as I'd had a request for a roast chicken dinner. Once home I swung into action and rustled up the little spread you can see above. ​​​​​​​I'll let the pic speak for itself as I've whittered on too much already. Back tomorrow with who knows what twaddle.




Kirk out




RevoltingFood.com

Comments

Popular Posts