Cowcheese

  This one might have to be a double episode as there's a lot to get through, so pay attention. Let's see how we get on. Firstly, it was the bosses birthday so for lunch I arranged a special lunch. You might remember I recently visited Nobu for a seven course tasting menu a couple of weeks back and jolly spectacular it was too. Quite coincidentally, weeks ago, for a birthday surprise, I had a arranged for us to indulge in a seven course spectacular. I could get used to this.

  This one was at the St James' restaurant, The Balcon. In brief, if I had to choose which was best, Nobu's food was in another league, but service at the Balcon was definitely better. Most importantly though, I got the full quota of brownie points for dreaming up a great way to celebrate. Ironically, the only course I forgot to photograph was my favourite, a scallop and avocado mousseline with lobster, so instead, here's a picture of the delightful lamb Wellington with pea puree and girolles.
Image
  Now to get on with the show, we're going to have a look at the history of butter. Before we do though, have you any idea where the delicious yellow stuff comes from? Sorry, I couldn't hear you cos I think you were mumbling a bit so I'll just go ahead and tell you.

  Butter is a milk product so let's have a quick look at milk. The juice of the cow is rich in everything the calf needs, (like the milk of other mammals). It is water based and contains, broadly speaking, fat, protein, minerals and carbohydrates. If you fill a bucket straight from the cow and allow the liquid to settle, the fat content will rise to the surface. Skim the top layer off and you'll notice you have cream. 

  Ready for a penny drop moment? The more cream you skim off, the thinner, (waterier), the milk is. That's where skimmed milk gets its name and that's where cream comes from. Sorry if you've lived on a farm all your life and are currently rolling your eyes, for the city folk who think milk comes from milk factories and cream from paint factories, this is a major revelation.
That's all for now, I'll be back tomorrow with more buttery tales.




Kirk out




RevoltingFood.com

Comments

Popular Posts