How much!!!

  There's going to be a brief detour from academia, (is that what you call your efforts? -Ed.), this evening as I have a little rant instead. On my way home I stopped in a different fruit and veg shop from my regular one, to pick up some bananas.

  The shop is on Broadway market, right in the centre of middle class, hipster heaven. Beards and skinny bikes pollute the whole area and I was expecting to pay premium rates, especially as the shop made a big point about its organic credentials, but it was convenient and I was in a bit of a hurry.
Image
Should I buy one of these when the insurance pays out?
(Hint, the answer's NO)
  I grabbed a bunch of six, (non-organic), and slid them on the counter to get weighed. 'That'll be two pounds and seventy six please.' I already had the fiver out and was handing it over in an automatic way when I was jolted awake. 'No it won't', I said, withdrawing my bluey and stuffing it back in my wallet.

  The youngster behind the counter was caught off her stride and sputtered a response of some sort. Even though I hadn't done the maths, my underlying knowledge of food prices was enough to know without a second thought that I was being shafted. Without further hesitation I was out of the door and in the saddle heading off to my usual purveyor of bananas.

  Standing in the queue clutching my half dozen fat yellow fingers, (from the same producer), I was feeling excited, what was it going to cost? It happened to be the boss behind the counter so this was going to be fun. The final tingle of anticipation ran through me as I handed them over. 'That's a pound forty, please'. I handed my fiver over, grinning broadly.
  'I was just over in Broadway market a few minutes ago and they wanted to charge me two seventy six!' He did a double take at the scales then had that confused yet amused look morph his face. We both smiled and shrugged. I dropped the bananas into my bag and sped off eager to remind you to check the price as well as the ingredients.





Kirk out




RevoltingFood.com

Comments

Popular Posts