On a totally different subject

  As this is being written in the early part of the twenty first century, some of my research is done online. Actually, it should be a shock that only some is done that way as it means I've also been using books, (you do remember books, don't you?).

  Just because I'm doing research doesn't mean I don't get distracted by the deep digital ocean, but fortunately the stuff I'm distracted by is filling in the cavernous gaps in my knowledge instead of reminding me how much I like cute kittens and spine tingling motorcycles. So what discovery has taken my mind off food? Have a look at my dinner of roasted sweet potato, onion, kale and courgette with kimchi and a fried egg and then I'll tell you.
Image
  You have no doubt heard of atoms and are aware that we, the food we eat and everything else on earth is made up of them. You may also be aware that there's a lot of room in atoms. You've got the protons and neutrons in the middle and the electrons orbiting round the outside and there's quite a bit of space between the electrons and the nucleus. But I never knew how much so instead of doing my food reading I got distracted and had my mind blown.

  A hydrogen atom is 99.9999999999996% empty. No, really. That's a lot of empty space. And the reason we, as mainly non existent people can't walk through mainly non existent walls is because the electrons on the outside are negatively charged and, if you remember your experience of magnets, you'll know that like poles repel so instead of things actually being solid, it's just the electrostatic fields bouncing off each other.

  You'll probably need a lie down to process that lot but before you do, hold up your hand in front of your face and consider how empty it is yet how solid it looks and feels. But don't go trying to run through any walls.



Kirk out




RevoltingFood.com

Comments

Popular Posts