Officially off duty

  After a more than usually relentless month, I've finally caught hold of myself and put the brakes on. Oddly, I still spent most of today way over the speed limit, (metaphorically speaking, officer), but when I'd got home and managed to slow down to below mach 2, I set about some serious relaxation.

  Remember the stuffing balls I told you about yesterday? I just spent a nice relaxing evening making a huge batch. Actually, I'm not done yet but I thought I'd take a break to sit down and write this. So here I am, writing this. And this. Oh, and this bit too. (Have you totally lost it? -Ed).
Image
  One of the errands on today's rounds was another visit to my highly remarkable butcher. I had bought the meat, (a large piece of pork neck/shoulder), to slow roast as an accompaniment for Monday's extravaganza, (Yes, I'm serving pork stuffing with shredded pork. Don't ask.), but hadn't thought about any other meals over the post-festive period. (I say post-festive because the big celebration was yesterday, remember?) Anyway, I bought a pile of lamb which will end up as a massive stew.

  We got chatting about turkeys and the difference between a proper bird and a commercial one. He told me the best turkeys are hatched in early January and grow slowly and naturally through the year. One difference is that the leg meat is much darker and tastier because they spend the whole year running about. Darker meat comes from muscles being used so for example, beef is darker than veal. Here's a clue to the quality of your turkey, was it expensive? The longer the farmer has to rear it, the higher the cost, which gets passed on to you. Interesting stuff.

  I've inadvertently managed to stay sober all evening and spent the whole time making stuffing and I've had a wonderful time. Rumour has it that I'm not the only one who finds it joyful just hanging out and cooking. If this applies to you too, then do please spread the word. With any luck the rumour will spread and before long, more folk will be giving it a go to see if it's true. That's all for now, I'm off to make another cuppa and get back to it. Adios, amigo.
​​​​​​​



Kirk out




RevoltingFood.com

Comments

Popular Posts