Skak attack

  It’s as if I’m a conduit. It seems like it has to be my duty to tell you about a recipe that has suddenly been attacking me from all sides and needs to be a part of your life too.

  The first attack came when I started in the falafelatorium I told you about recently, and then quite coincidentally I was served it when eating Chez Scoggis over the weekend. The mystery dish I’m rambling about? Shakshuka. Something resembling a recipe will follow but you’re in charge. Shakshuka is a mix of whatwever’s in reach and needs to be used up so I’ll give you a sense of where you’re heading but you’re choosing the ingredients.
Image
  As you can probably work out from the picture, it’s basically eggs on tomato sauce. In reality it’s an opportunity to produce a different dish every time. Start with the veg. I took onions and peppers, cut and oiled them and stuck them in the oven to soften and caramelize, but other contenders could use include mushroom, courgette, aubergine or whatever else is nearby.

  While they were roasting, I dumped a couple of tins of tomatoes in a saucepan and let them simmer to start reducing them, adding paprika and garlic for good measure. When the veg were ready, they got dumped in the tomatoes and allowed to simmer.

  The longer the sauce cooks, the thicker and sweeter it becomes so don't be afraid to leave it for a good half hour. Finally, spread an inch think layer of the stuff around the bottom of an oven proof dish, make some wells with a spoon and drop an egg in each. Put the dish in the oven to let the eggs cook and serve with... well, whatever takes your fancy.




Kirk out




RevoltingFood.com

Comments

Popular Posts