Sorry? The Earth is what shape? (Please read this, I need your help)

  This is going to be quite a strange post for me to write so please bear with me. I'm going to start with a quote that might help, 'It's easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled'. Imagine a time when the conventional wisdom was that the Earth was flat. Once Aristotle had proven it was round, I'm pretty sure that he didn't just tweet it and everyone got on board. I'd also hazard a guess that when folk did get wind of this discovery they didn't leap to embrace the idea in the same way most people don't believe that the word, gullible has been removed from the dictionary.

  It came to my attention a little while ago that cutting carbs is a great way to lose weight. The science is this, we get our energy from fats and carbs. Excess energy is stored as fat and when we don't eat enough energy, the body uses its reserves. This process of turning stored fat into energy is called ketosis and I guarantee that if you reduce your carb intake, you'll lose weight. Remember, carbs are not only rice, bread, pasta and potatoes, all sugars and most grains are full of carbs too so it can be quite an adjustment but it's worth the effort.

  As an experiment I cut carbs and noticed a difference as did a good friend who saw amazing results, (I'm proud of you Cosmo). Since that time, more information came my way about a guy called Tim Noakes. I'll not go into his story again as I've already blogged about him but I've been doing further research into what he found out and I'm starting to come to the conclusion that, contrary to what conventional wisdom would have you believe, the world is actually shaped like a typewriter.
See? The horizon's completely flat.
  Fortunately it's still round, but what I'm starting to accept is that pretty much every bit of nutritional advice you think is true is in fact total bollocks and though I'll tell you what I've heard, I don't for one minute think I'll be able to convince you of this. As a result I'm not going to even try. I just want to let you know what info I've come across and that I'm struggling to incorporate it into my world view. Ready? Good. Now buckle up, it's about to get weird.

  To start the ball rolling, fruit isn't good for you. How about that bombshell? Not only that but the body is designed to eat a diet with lots of fat and very few carbs. (There are exceptions but you're not one of them.) There are a couple of fringe groups out there I'd heard of eating diets called Banting, keto and LCHF. I had dismissed them as loons but the evidence seems pretty compelling. While I remember, the thing about fruit briefly is that it contains loads of carbs. But don't stop eating it yet.

  And here's my problem. It's hard enough getting myself to accept this, despite all the research I'm doing, as well as seeing amazing results after only a week. (I had to give it a go just to find out.) The struggle, I realise, is not just convincing other people that there may be some truth in it, but that almost the entire world revolves around a carb rich diet, and unless people are unbelievably committed as well as being very creative, it's too much of a leap for them to make.

  But so what?, you say. Well, I'm still very passionate and driven to make a difference to people's lives through their relationship with food. I normally do this by teaching them to cook in a way that makes sense to them and that includes carbs, and it feels quite hypocritical to now be giving them advice that I'm more than a little unsure about. 

  So here's my dilemma. Do I stick to my guns and preach what I practice, or do I help them get healthier by teaching them to cook, knowing that some of what I'm showing them may not be in their best interest? There might be a middle ground of some sort and help finding it would be useful. Answers to the usual address. Any help gratefully received.




Kirk out




RevoltingFood.com

Comments

Popular Posts