The beatings will continue until morale improves

  While yesterday's suggestion is unlikely to be embraced universally in today's PC world overwhelmed by overprotective helicopter parents (so named because they hover relentlessly around their offspring), here is a perspective that may help convince the non-believers.

  The most important thing you can pass on is a healthy relationship with food. I consider myself immeasurably lucky that my mum was happy to let me frolic with her in the kitchen from the time I could stand. I was always encouraged and included in the process. This means that a kitchen, any kitchen, feels like home as soon as I step in it. I realise I'm an outlier but what she gave me, though fairly unique in todays busy world, is still something that you can give too.
Locked and loaded!
  Because I'm so comfortable with food, I'm not reliant on the food industry to eat.  Because I was encouraged to experiment and discover, food is an outlet for my creativity and because food was always a joy, it never feels like work. If that sounds like a useful relationship with food, wouldn't you want it too? 

  And more importantly, wouldn't you want it for your kids (or any other little 'uns you know) to have as a gift? You'd be pretty heartless if you didn't and the best part is that it's an easy thing to pass on, as well a cheap way of getting extra help in the kitchen. You know your sprog, I don't. They may be interested and cooking already but if they're just reaching the age when this is a possibility then there's not a moment to lose.

  Let them come in the kitchen. Tell them what you're doing. Ask them if they want to help out (but make it a rhetorical question for obvious reasons). Encourage them to smell and taste as well as experiment so it's a fun activity. If they seem reluctant, read yesterday's post for info about my favourite incentive. If you missed it, the short version is give them weapons. Kids love weapons.





Kirk out




RevoltingFood.com

Comments

Popular Posts