Daddy daycare

  Actually, more like Uncle nightwatchman but let’s not split hairs. The fact you’re reading this, means I survived an evening in the company of the troublesome threesome. These three musketeers are lucky enough to be my nephews, and after waiting years for them to become self sufficient enough to be a joy, I finally took charge of them for an evening while their frayed parents went off for a frolic.

  Despite previous enthusiasm, there were no volunteers to help uncle knock up supper, so while amok was being run somewhere, I went to work. Supper that had been arranged for the fussy lot was chicken in a tortilla wrap. And I do mean, pieces of chicken rolled up in a soft tortilla. Nothing else. (Can you imagine?)
Says it's not suitable for vegetarians. Who'd have thought?
  I certainly couldn’t, so I set about subtly improving the painfully mundane. The chicken that had been bought were breast fillets, so I cut them into chunks and tossed them with some lime juice and salt before stir frying them in olive oil gently over a low flame. This way I would be able to tip them out of the pan as soon as they were cooked (and before they went tough and chewy).

  I thought a buffet was the easiest option, so as well as the chicken and tortillas, the table also was festooned with pesto mayonnaise, grated carrot, caramelised onions, sliced tomatoes, grated parmesan and toasted sesame seeds. Though initially sceptical, they with a few of the extras, but all of them really liked the succulent chicken and ate well. High praise indeed.

​​​​​​​  For dessert, I'm ecstatic to report that they wanted fruit. I rapidly chopped up a few things and served up an impromptu fruit salad, which also went down a treat. It looks like I'll be invited back, especially after my enthralling rendition of Mr Benn. Bedtime stories will never be the same.





Kirk turning the lights out




RevoltingFood.com

Comments

Popular Posts