Like any good uncle

  Despite being the curmudgeon's curmudgeon, I take my duties as an uncle very seriously and one particularly lucky nephew has been the recipient of a spectacular cake for many years. It's that time again for me to weave my magic.

  This year there was a bit of a trade off because I didn't have the time to create the visual feast that is my traditional trademark, so I made sure it was so delicious that no one would notice or care. If you remember my recent cake exploits, you may have an idea of what's coming.
  Let's talk visuals first. As you can probably tell it's supposed to be a skateboard. If I had more time I'd have made it float for the full effect. Also, there's no kicktail and the proportions are wrong but getting past that, the thing I was most happy with was how I snuck his age in to the decorations. It even got a thumbs up from his graphic designer mum. Result!

  On to taste. The clue earlier alluded to the blondie that I've been obsessing over recently. I'm probably obsessed because it's verboten while I'm off carbs but I made the flimsy excuse that I needed to make another batch to try a different method of combining the ingredients. (Basically, I mixed in the flour before the eggs and it works just as well but I'm just being a geek so you can ignore this bit.)

  The verdict? I wasn't totally sure a bunch of eleven year olds would like a salt/sweet peanut flavour cake, (I backed off the salt by thirty percent to make it more palatable), and to my great joy, they wolfed it down. Turned out the parents were partial to a slice or four as well, so mission accomplished. Until next year...




Kirk out




RevoltingFood.com

Comments

Popular Posts