Setting the example

  Neither 'sparse' nor 'desolate' are adjectives often used to describe the inside of my fridge. The only time it's actually been remotely close to empty is the day it was delivered so, because my attention had been elsewhere, it was a bit of a shock to suddenly notice the amount of available space for rent when I opened my fridge about lunchtime.

  The state of my belly was the least of my concerns, it was the management I was thinking about. She's been away for a few days and I'd be letting the side down somewhat if she came home and found the fridge resembling old mother Hubbard's cupboard. (I hope that's not a euphemism. -Ed.)
Mother Hubbard would be proud.
  More of a shock was my initial response. I actually thought about getting a takeaway! You read that right. Me! A takeaway! Yes, I'm ashamed to admit it but that was the thought that flashed across my mind. I feel this is a space where I can be honest so I'm happy to confess but fortunately I quickly caught my insane internal dialogue and had a quiet word.

  Unlike you, I have absolutely no excuse for that sort of behaviour. It would be hypocrisy at it's very worst so as soon as I'd straightened myself out I reassessed the situation and came up with a plan. Some spring greens that were meandering nonchalantly towards their transformation from food to compost had their journey curtailed, they then got shredded and blanched to soften them up a bit.
​​​​​​​  An onion was cut to ribbons and slightly caramelised with a julienned carrot, a lonely broccoli stem was chopped up and fried, some mushrooms were sliced and fried with plenty of coconut, garlic and ginger and finally a packet of prawns were unearthed from their hiding place in the freezer and tossed in butter, garlic and lemon juice before everything was finally piled up alongside a little salad and a scoop of kimchi. There were even leftovers, so it goes to show how a little discipline and imagination can work wonders. However, there is no doubt that a shopping trip is imminent before I get home, open the fridge and find that squatters have moved in.
And let me tell you, they are notoriously troublesome to cook.




Kirk out




RevoltingFood.com

Comments

Popular Posts