One last ride

  Last night's supper was a success though it was a real mixed bag. There was pork cooked umpteen different ways with a Chinese style stir fry and a middle eastern rice dish. The star of the plate was the pork. A kilo of pork belly was smoked then slow cooked with onions, peppers, oranges, red wine and a selection of spices before being chilled in the fridge to firm up. It was then sliced and put on the bbq to caramelise and finally served up, covered with the reduced cooking juices and worth every bit of effort.

  Now your mouth is good and salivating, let's change the vibe a bit and move to this mornings pre-breakfast activities. As we were all quite stuffed after last night's feast, it was decided that we would go for a ride before breakfast. This was also because there was a football match my fellow travellers were interested in and to give you an idea of how interested the match was for me, I'm writing this while they are all glued to the telly.
Lost, but who cares?
  The ride was everything we love and one of the main reasons we do this every year. A slightly sunny canopy overlooked empty, dry roads that roller coaster round the stunning countryside. We headed over to Luxembourg, taking a couple of hours to do so, and found a little town on a river that must be in the middle of a lot of people's favourite routes, because while we sat sipping coffee and nibbling pain au chocolates there were endless toys roaring and rumbling past us through town.

  Then there was the journey back. Just as brisk and urgent but unfortunately over too quickly. Oh well. This is the last proper day here before we pack back up and dash back to Calais and already, I can tell you about how it feels to be a carb burner again. On top of the fact that I've eaten way more than usual and that it's been a lot errr... sugarier than usual, I'm really aware of my energy levels being different with a lot more noticeable fluctuations.

  As enjoyable as it has been to eat without restriction, I'm pretty sure the next time I have a free weekend (mid July) I'm sure my food choices will not be as extreme. Long term though, the way I feel now I'm pretty sure I'll stick with Banting in some form. But that's in the future. In the present, there's one more dinner and a whole lot of riding ahead of me. Roll on tomorrow.




Kirk out




RevoltingFood.com

Comments

Popular Posts