Access all areas

  I'm sure that like me you've recently been noticing the impending arrival of winter with the long evenings drawing in. (Had a touch too much sun perhaps? -Ed.) To make good use of my time before I turn in for my winter hibernation, today was spent sewing shoelaces. While busying myself I realised that a little follow up was needed.

  The theme of the last few posts has been about getting you on your path to kitchen freedom and boosting your ability to make up recipes on your own. As I've said, a lot of the time it's a matter of confidence and I'll say it again, often it's only a matter of confidence. Just start cooking something and see what your imagination comes up with. If you need a bit of inspiration, just look around. We are utterly inundated with food and ingredients and snacks and shops and restaurants and and and.... 
Put the turtle away
  Yesterday, cookbooks got a big shout as sources of inspiration but you may have noticed a small mention going to cooking programs. That's what I want to focus on today as they are a pet hate of mine, though hilariously these recent posts were kind of inspired by Ready, steady, cook! Which conveniently brings us full circle as these programs do have one single function, inspiration.

  RSC is a perfect example of all that is pointless about cooking shows, it is just entertainment. So what? you might ask. Well, it's a good question and before I answer, have a think about what it might be that get's me wound up. (Just about everything from what I can tell. -Ed.).

  Shitty cooking entertainment shows are the biggest missed opportunity since we realised that the current experiment with our relationship with food has gone off the rails. We don't need more mindless entertainment and celebrity chefs mystifying cooking. We need more information, help and guidance to make cooking as easy, normal and accessible as possible. I would suggest sticking a camera in my trumpet and have me scream advice at everyone but that doesn't seem like the best solution for some reason. What do you think?




Kirk out




RevoltingFood.com

Comments

Popular Posts