Warm salt

  My very nice South African biker buddy did me the greatest solid today by refraining to pile into the home made cookies he had brought in to work until I got there. He's sent over pictures and a recipe but I'll save them until tomorrow. For now, we're still on the subject of all things salty and today is the turn of the humble and normally quite flavourless soya bean.

  The important word there is, 'normally' because when fermented these guys produce one of the most fundamental kitchen essentials and if you haven't got any, I suggest you go and get some now. What is so important? Soy sauce of course.

  In brief, soy sauce comes in two varieties, shoyu and tamari. (Unless it says tamari on the bottle, it's going to be shoyu). Buy just one to start with or things could get complicated, and use it wherever you would use salt. At this point you might be getting ready to write in to ask why? and I'm glad to be able to pre-empt you with a response.
Scrummy grated wood.
  Like I pointed out recently, my descriptions don't taste of anything so you'll have to experience the answer for yourself, which means a taste test. You'll have to make something without any seasoning, split it into two, add salt to one and soy sauce to the other. The way I experience the difference is that the soy sauce has a warmer saltiness. I realise that is utter gibberish on its own so now you'll have to do a taste test.

  Another way of thinking about it is to think of the salt caramel combo that has become quite popular recently. I find that soy sauce has the perfect type of saltiness for this and cos I love you, I'm going to share one of my favourite recipes, banana smoothie. Blend together two sweet, ripe bananas, a tablespoon of peanut butter and milk (whichever type you prefer). While it's blending, taste it. Then put a dash of soy sauce in and taste it again. Keep adding and tasting. As you do so, you'll notice the most magical change in the flavour occurs. (Don't worry, you'll know when to stop adding and when to start drinking).

  While I had said that the bulk of your food is pretty bland and needs to be helped with the addition of flavour, I'll freely admit that something that sweet, ripe bananas don't lack is flavour, but this should help you experience the power of the unsung ingredients that lurk quietly in the shadows. Now go buy some soy sauce and don't forget, tomorrow it's cookies!





Kirk out



RevoltingFood.com

Comments

Popular Posts