Song of the sirens

  Because you are reading this, I know that the idea of taking the advice of someone preaching on the internet is kind of appealing. I’d be the first one to admit to being a teeny bit of an expert about a few food related issues as well as being fairly modest. (I am joking, before you get your knickers in a twist, I am extraordinarily modest).

  As I’m sure happens in many fields that are crowded with experts, there is a hierarchy included as standard. Where I get my feathers ruffled is when I come across other folk peddling their opinions who, as far as I can tell, are snake oil peddlers with dubious credentials.
Image
  This suspicion was validated when I came across the antics of one such being who I know personally. Not only did I find her to be of questionable judgment when we had dealings a while ago, but I was alerted to her shenanigans by someone else in the same field who had come across her and found her act to be kind of repulsive.

  I’m not going to mention names, especially as there are more people than just her who I would be wary of listening to let alone paying for advice. It certainly seems like there are a number of these unqualified individuals who are appearing, delighted to be able to cash in on the new food fad.

  Some are more egregious than others but it seems that anyone who had a health scare based epiphany suddenly feels qualified to sell themselves as an expert, get a website, start hawking their advice and even publish a book or two. What can you do to sort the champs from the charlatans?
I don’t know. What do you think I am, some kind of expert or something?




Kirk out




Chefsebastian.com

Comments

Popular Posts