Show me your plums

  The management may have taken a weekend break but I was overjoyed to find she didn't come back empty handed. The nice fella who owned the B&B had lovely plums and was lovely enough to share them with his guests so a big sack of plums arrived along with another of the gifts of British summer. Always found lurking in the bushes amongst the thorns, (no, not perverts), blackberries.

  Seeing as I'd had a functional and occasionally nicely decorated weekend's eating, a treat was in order. Let's see how on the ball you are with a quick quiz. We've got fruit, it's got to be a treat and though I want something simple, there is no hurry as I'd not made the main course yet. Here's a picture clue...
Image
  Time's up. The answer is crumble. To be honest, that's my default easy treat because it's as easy as it is delicious and normally, if it goes in the oven when you're about to eat, then by the time you've eaten, had seconds and are contemplating a little something sweet to finish off then you'll find it's ready.

  As I always like to cook a little extra, I padded the dish out with apple and pear to accompany the plums and berries. I had a bit of ginger in the fridge that got chopped up and chucked in for good measure. I know you're going to ask for a quick crumble recipe so here is a guide to a great crumble. 

  Firstly you want nearly twice the weight of powder to fat. I used 210g of a mix of ground almonds and flour and 120g of butter. Either chuck the lot in a mini chopper to blend or rub it between your fingers until you get fine breadcrumbs. Chuck in a bit of sugar or whatever sweetness you like and you can also put some spices in for fun. Cover the fruit with the crumble. Here's my top tip, I use a spoon to press it down and compact it then rough up the surface a bit. About 30-40 minutes at 170-180c is enough. As long as the top is brown and the fruit's juices have started bubbling round the edges bit then you're good. Let it cool so you don't melt the inside of your mouth and serve with a dollop of something white, (but not paint.)
Tomorrow, why I need a lie down. 




Kirk out




RevoltingFood.com

Comments

Popular Posts