It's not what I do

  I just had the most amazing evening. Since about six o'clock I've been dancing around my kitchen and as I write this, I've finished eating the main and will be pulling the dessert from the oven any moment. Practical necessity dictated that tonight's menu would include a medley of roasted veg but beyond that I had no idea what it was going to be.

  What happened next is a bit of a blur as I was swept away to a place where I was merely a conduit for all the elements to continue their journey. As I sit up in the cockpit, feeling like not much more than the co-pilot, I am granted a phenomenal view of the proceedings as they unfold like clouds rolling across a sky.
Image
  Somehow the roasted vegetables ended up festively stacked with the garlicky slices of aubergine serving as a base for the courgette, mushroom and peppers, underneath which was a slow caramelised onion, gently perfumed with balsamic and star anise. This was the star of the plate and therefore found itself festooned with traces of yoghurt, zatar, and toasted walnuts.

  To accompany the vegetable spectacular was a mixed leaf salad with avocado and smoked salmon, which sat next to quinoa and parsley with a balsamic, pomegranate and sherry reduction. My photographs, (as you are well aware), are more documents than adverts but you can get the general idea from the picture above. What you can also work out is that this was rather elaborate for an average evening meal, but, once I started cooking, it could have been any meal in the world. Who or what it was for didn't matter. 

  I suppose this is the cooking equivalent of being in the zone. I'm not sure of the last time I was this lost in cooking but it was a joy to be back there. It's also a lovely reminder of why I love sharing my passion and knowledge. If I can give you a thousandth of the bliss I felt tonight, I'd be overjoyed.
That's why I say cooking is not something I do.





Kirk out




RevoltingFood.com

Comments

Popular Posts