Her name is Natalie

  As you can tell from the name of tonight's post, my new pride and joy has a name. No doubt there will be more pictures for you to ogle as it seems a bit unfair to have only shown you one taken at a slightly jaunty angle. Before you settle in to a bike related post however, I'm going to take you off in a totally different direction.

  One of the pies I have my fingers stuck in involves metal work. Most specifically, learning to weld. I was in the workshop today and produced the first piece that will actually have a purpose. There's a picture below and I've only headed off on this tangent as I'm so chuffed with my efforts.
Image
All my own work.
  As this picture is out of context, I'd better explain that these are table legs for a low coffee table. there are only two of them as the other two legs are wheels. You can be sure I'll post a pic of the finished article soon along with, (at a slightly later date), a set of bookshelves that is in the pipeline.

​​​​​​​  What I find about metal, in contrast to working with food, is that while food is prepared and cooked relatively rapidly, metal is worked very slowly. Food has a very instant quality to it and is nothing but a memory quite quickly. Metal, on the other hand, is ancient, unhurried and will be around for a long time so working with it has a kind of calm, medative quality that I really enjoy.

  Tomorrow we're back on to food and moving on from pastry. You'll remember a little while ago that we started with grains which were cooked simply with water into a porridge or bread and a bit later still there was pasta. We then added butter, which gave us pastry. The next phase involves looking at other ingredients which opens up an even wider range of recipes. More soon.





Kirk out




RevoltingFood.com

Comments

Popular Posts