Hopefully I'm not too late

  There's a very good chance that your shopping this weekend will include boxes of mince pies. That's a great idea, they are utterly delicious and if my christmas dinner consisted of three courses of nothing else, I would still have seconds. However, there's a slim chance that you may take the road less travelled and make your own.

  This truly is a noble endeavour as it involves a fair amount of work to make and roll out the pastry, line the tins and fill with mince before baking to perfection. Oh, did I say, 'fill with mince'? I did, and the assumption of course is that the mince came out of a jar, but why would you assume that? Now we know where his is going, have a look at a boring picture of something which, (and you'll have to take my word for it), is very scrumptious.
Image
  I've been commissioned to produce a batch of pies that contain a mince which has only fruit and no other form of sugar. I'd by lying if I said I wasn't very happy with the recipe I produced and so confident am I that it's both very yummy and very easy to make that I'm going to share it with you right now. I just hope I'm sharing it with you in enough time for you to produce some by Monday.

​​​​​​​  Gently simmer 500g of chopped dates in 500ml of water for about 5-10 minutes. Add a peeled and blitzed orange, a grated apple, the zest of three lemons, 500g of both raisins and sultanas, 2.5 grams of ground cinnamon, 5 ground cloves, 2 grams of salt, 100 grams of chopped pecans and 80 grams of coconut oil and simmer for another 5-10 minutes until it's all soft and incorporated.

  There's a good chance you don't need over two kilos of the stuff, (which this recipe will produce), even if you are as addicted to mince pies like I am, so just do the maths and divide it by two. You may as well make a kilo as you're going to the effort of making it. I'm sure any leftovers would freeze very well or you could use it to make another batch for new year's eve. Or Boxing day.
​​​​​​​



Kirk out




RevoltingFood.com

Comments

Popular Posts