Shakshuka update

  The excitedly enthusiastic and remarkably meticulous Professor Scoggis, (Do you think you're introducing a music hall variety act? -Ed.), got in touch to share a recent creation of his which seems to have been inspired by one of my posts. As touched as I was that he chose to share his efforts, I feel a little clarification may be in order.

  I've been assured that what you can see below is definitely inspired by shakshuka, but even by his own admission, it's more of an omelette. Though there is tomato sauce in the mix, (in the form of passata), as well as, (and I want you to brace yourself for an odd combination), cranberry sauce, it's the execution that strays somewhat from the authentic.
Image
An interesting variation. 
  The essence of the dish that I've written about as shakshuka, (but is also in Italian and Mexican cuisine, known by other names of course), is for the eggs to be poached or baked in the tomato sauce, (normally without cranberry). So to recap, make a flavoursome, rich tomato sauce; spread out a layer of up to an inch in depth and with a spoon or ladle, make a number of wells and gently break an egg into each one. Cook over a low heat or in an oven until the eggs are set and serve.

  I look forward to posting a picture of the professor's next version. Not only do I know that he likes a challenge as well as dabbling in the kitchen, but his lovely wife is Italian so I'm sure this will at least influence the outcome, maybe with a sprinkling of grated cheese over the top, for example.

  Tomorrow I'll be having my first 'live fire' festive meal, courtesy of a gastro pub. I've ordered the traditional turkey option and set my expectations low so I'm unlikely to be disappointed but I'll let you know. Have fun if you're starting to get your cooking preparations ready for Monday and if you're feeling stuck, drop me a line, I'm happy to help. Oh look, someone appears to have poured a dark and stormy into a rocks glass and left it precariously within reach so I'll be bidding you farewell. Catch you tomorrow.




Kirk out




RevoltingFood.com

Comments

Popular Posts