J'ai faim

  In a couple of weeks my sister and family are packing themselves into a car and heading across France. As a deep well of knowledge on this subject I was grilled for all sorts of tips and phrases. The most useful phrase being, "I'm thirsty and my children are annoying so please can I have a beer?"

  Another line of enquiry was help with the solution to the two pronged issue of fussy kids and staying on budget. As we all have to keep a grip on the purse strings, I thought it would be useful to share my suggestions. It's worth mentioning that I held my tongue regarding child management as it's not my area of expertise, though I certainly have some very sensible discipline related sugg... (That's quite enough from you on that subject. -Ed.)

  Their sprog are so fussy that they have been known to turn their nose up at a plate of food just because there was a sprig of parsley as a garnish. Fortunately French street food can be top notch so I'd always have my eyes peeled for a van parked up selling pizzas made in a wood fired oven or steak haché frites (that's burger and chips if your French is a bit rusty).​​​​​​​
  Another option is a quick visit to a supermarket for a hunk of cheese, a baguette and a bag of tomatoes for an easy cheese sarni followed by some fresh fruit. Not forgetting of course the myriad bakeries for all of the above as well as the option of a croquet monsieur, quiche or filled croissant followed by the most amazing choice of cake, tart or whatever you fancy for dessert.

  I've been saving the absolute very best for last and I wonder if you've guessed what it could be. It may not be quite as common as the other suggestions but you are sure at some point to come across a rotisserie full of chickens, slowly spinning and dripping their juices on a massive pile of potatoes. Once again if you get a baguette and some tomatoes that's all you need. 

​​​​​​​  I'd better bring this to a close pronto because I'm practically in tears. I just realised I need to nip over to France to get a little dose of their fine cuisine, including, but definitely not limited to, a slow cooked chicken with loads of soft roast potatoes, a crisp, fresh baguette, salad and... Hey, I forgot to mention ice cream!




Kirk out




RevoltingFood.com

Comments

Popular Posts